How to Choose the Best Running Harness for Your Dog
Any runner knows that there’s no better running partner than a furry, four-legged friend. Full to the brim with energy and very eager to please their person, dogs are the perfect companion on a run. They can quickly adapt to the routes and speeds you choose and can help you stay motivated to keep going. But just because your canine pal is up to the task doesn’t mean his current leash or harness is.
A high-quality running harness is crucial for you and your dog’s safety while you’re out for your daily jog or any kind of sports activities you do with your dog. A good harness will be more comfortable and safe and make the training process much easier as well. Who knew a good running harness could do so much?
What Qualities Should You Look For In a Running Harness
It’s all well and good to purchase the first harness you find at the pet store or the cheapest one you can get online, but the truth of the matter is that you need to know what you’re looking for in a running harness if you want to get the right one. And don’t forget: the difference between the wrong one and the right one could mean a world of difference in your dog’s willingness to run with you.
The best dog harness for running should fit your dog’s size, so make sure to get your dog’s measurements before you make a purchase. You don’t want the harness to be too tight, so look for one that fits comfortably without being too restrictive. Because you’re using the harness for running, you want the material to be nice and light, so your pup doesn’t get overheated during exercise. Here are some highlights of what to look for in a great running harness:
- The material should be comfortable to the touch and lightweight. Look for materials that are soft, flexible, and breathable. These materials will ensure comfort and prevent rashes and heat exhaustion.
- The harness should be easy to use. Too many complicated clips and straps may prevent you from using it and opting for an inferior harness instead. You should be able to put the harness on quickly and easily for your daily exercise.
- Reflective straps on the harness will keep your pup safer during morning or evening runs or when the weather isn’t great. Though many drivers are accustomed to seeing runners, they may not be expecting a dog to be with you, so visibility is critical.
- A versatile harness will offer several clip locations to make walking or running with your dog more comfortable for both of you. With so many options for leash placement, you’ll be able to find just the right positioning that works for your daily runs with Fido.
- The best dog harness for running should feature an adjustable fit so that the harness grows with your dog. Even if your furry friend is full-grown, fluctuations in weight and hair growth will change how the harness fits. Having several ways to adjust the harness means safety and security at all times.
How to Find the Proper Fit for Your Running Harness
When finally making the purchase for your new dog running harness, choosing the fit is the most important element, so you need to make sure you get it right. An ill-fitting running harness poses many problems for both you and your dog, including serious injury, breathing problems, worsening behavior, and slipping out of their harness. At best, your dog might develop a negative attitude toward running; at worst, your dog might run away entirely if he gets out of the harness in an unfamiliar area.
To get the sizing right, take accurate measurements of your dog. Here’s what numbers to gather:
- Neck Girth. Take a flexible measuring tape and measure around the base of the neck.
- Chest Girth. With the same measuring tape, measure from the shoulder blades at the back around the ribcage. This will usually be the widest part of the dog.
- Body Length. You don’t need to measure from nose to tail. Instead, take the measurement from just behind the front leg to just behind the rear leg.
Once you have your measurements, look at our harness sizing chart to choose the best dog harness for running that will fit your dog the best.Tips for Achieving the Perfect Fit
If you want to make extra sure that your running harness for your dog fits perfectly, here are two expert tips:
- If your dog is between sizes or just at the end of one size, it’s usually best to choose the bigger size. This will ensure that the dog’s breathing isn’t interrupted and that it won’t get overly exhausted during exercise.
- To make sure the fit is right, you should be able to place two fingers underneath any strap of the harness. If it is a struggle, the harness is too tight. If there’s a lot of space left, it’s probably too big. Another way to check is by pulling the harness over your dog’s head. If it doesn’t budge, you’re safe; if it slips right off, you’ll need to adjust it or get a smaller size.
Are Pet & Cuddle Dog Harnesses Suitable For Running?
For the most comfortable and secure dog harnesses at affordable prices, Pet & Cuddle has you covered. These harnesses were designed by dog training professionals and will provide the best comfort for you and your dog during any sports activity, including running. Our harnesses are growing in popularity worldwide, thanks to the many benefits they offer to dogs and dog-owners alike.
- Materials used in Pet & Cuddle dog running harnesses are durable, breathable, and soft. Thank means your dog will experience comfort and safety all at once.
- Our harnesses are versatile and multifunctional, with plenty of ways to adjust and clip to suit your needs.
- Pet & Cuddle harnesses provide the best security for your dog during sports activities. Adjustable leashes and reflective straps work to keep your dog’s safety a priority.
- Though sturdy and strong, our running harnesses are also lightweight and easy to put on, so your dog has a complete free range of motion for easier exercise.
Questions About Running Harnesses
If you still have questions about running harnesses, you aren’t alone. Here are some of the most common questions dog-owners have about running harnesses – and their answers.
Are Dog Harnesses Safe for Running?
Dog harnesses are great for running. Unlike traditional collars, harnesses provide full-body support for the dog to reduce undue stress or pressure on the neck while running. As a result, harnesses offer more safety, comfort, and control during any type of sports activity.
Is it Better to Use a Collar or Harness When Running With a Dog?
It is much better to use a dog harness instead of just a collar for running. Harnesses distribute pressure from you guiding your dog with the leash over the body instead of just at the neck. Running harnesses use high-quality breathable materials, so you can use a harness even in the summer. Running with a dog collar can actually be quite dangerous for your dog, so it’s best to get a harness.
Should a Dog Wear His or Her Harness All the Time? Or Just When Running?
Dog trainers generally recommend that a harness be worn only during actual use, like running or walking. Though good quality running harnesses are lightweight and breathable, it’s still best to remove the harness after a run to let the dog’s skin breathe.
What Are the Main Functions of a Running Harness for Dogs?
The essential function of a running harness for dogs is to provide the owner with control and the dog with comfort and security during a run. A great harness should make the training and running process easier for both dog and owner. It must be comfortable for the dog to wear and for the owner to put on. Running harnesses are also used during general active training and can help a dog focus enough to learn new commands.
How Do I Get My Dog Used to a Running Harness?
The easiest method to get your dog used to a running harness is to go slow and use many treats. At first, you want to reward your dog for letting you put the harness on him. You can place it on, reward it with a treat, then immediately take it off again. As he gets used to having it put on, you can extend the wear time in small increments.
As he gets used to the harness, you may need to occupy the dog’s attention, especially if he appears annoyed by it. Distract him with games, toys, treats, and training. Once your pup can wear it without difficulty, you can begin training him to run with the harness. Start at a slow pace for short periods and gradually increase both.
Get Your Running Harness from Pet & Cuddle!
The right running harness for your dog should be comfortable, functional, secure, and well-fitted. In addition, running with a dog harness means offering your dog an easier way to run and train with his favorite human.
At Pet & Cuddle, we create premium dog products for any sports activities, from walking to running to high-intensity agility training. Now that you know how to choose the best running harness in terms of fit and function, it’s time to find the perfect harness at Pet & Cuddle now.
Our canine experts have created the ultimate harnesses for every dog – including dogs who love to run. Each harness is made to be safe, secure, comfortable, and stylish. Plus, they’re packed with features that make them ideal for going on that daily run with your pet. Perhaps the best part about Pet & Cuddle harnesses, though, is the fact that they’ve got features and materials that are generally only found on much more expensive harnesses. But here, we believe every dog – and their human – should be able to have that perfect harness for running, walking, hiking, training, and more.
Want to know more about the best running harnesses for your dog? Check out our latest dog harnesses!