What Makes a Cool Dog Harness?
When it comes to your dog, only the best will do. That’s why when you’re looking for a cool harness for your furry friend, you want to ensure that it ticks all the right boxes.
So, how can you find your pet's excellent dog harness? Below, we’ve put together a handy guide with everything you need to know.
Must-Have Features for Any Cool Dog Harness
When narrowing down the options and choosing a cool harness for dogs, here are some features you need to take into account:
- Cool mesh fabric with breathability. A harness made from cool mesh fabric is an excellent option as it will help your dog stay comfortable in warm weather. The breathable fabric will also stop your furry friend from getting too hot and sweaty on those long walks or hikes.
- Double-clip Construction. This means the leash can be attached to either the front or back of the saddle, giving you more control over your dog and ensuring a comfortable fit. It will ensure that the harness stays securely in place and doesn’t come undone, no matter how much your dog pulls or twists.
- Durable & Easy-to-Clean. The best harnesses are also durable and easy to clean. You want a design that won’t fall apart after a few washes and is simple to wipe down if your pup gets muddy on walks.
- A lightweight harness is essential for dogs that love to run and play. The last thing you want is for your pup to feel weighed down when they’re out exploring.
- Top-mounted Handle. A top-mounted handle is another essential feature as it gives you more control over your dog when walking and can be used to help dogs into the car or upstairs.
- Adjustable Buckles. Adjustable buckles are crucial as they allow you to get the perfect fit for your dog. An ill-fitting harness can be uncomfortable and even rub, causing skin irritation.
- Reflective Straps. Reflective straps are vital for safety, especially if you like to walk your dog in the early mornings or evenings. They help ensure that you and your pet are visible to passing traffic.
- Exclusive Design. And finally, you want your dog’s harness to have an exclusive design that will make them stand out from the crowd. Choose a harness that expresses your dog's personality, whether a funky pattern or bright color.
Family Handyman recommends that after you've chosen the color and style of cool mesh dog harness, consider what kind of leash functions best for them.
For example, if you have an active dog who pulls on walks, consider using a no-pull harness with a leash with a bungee attachment. This will give your dog some slack while keeping them close to you. If you're looking for more of an all-purpose leash, choose one that is comfortable to hold and can be easily clipped.
It could be a funky pattern or bright color, but it should be something that shows off your pup’s personality. The last thing you want is for your dog to be uncomfortable or constrained while wearing a harness, so take the correct measurements before making your purchase.
Easy Tips for Getting the Best Dog Harness Size
The size is one of the most important things to consider when choosing cool dog harnesses. You want to ensure that the harness is comfortable and doesn’t rub, but you also don’t want it to be too loose and quickly escape. Here are a few things to remember when searching for the best dog harness size:
Take the Right Measurements
The most crucial factor to consider when choosing a dog harness is fit. No matter how excellent the quality or design is, a fantastic harness can perfectly fit your dog. It doesn’t have to cause discomfort or jeopardize your dog’s safety. The following measurements can help to choose the proper body harness size for your dog:
- Neck Girth: Measure around your dog's neck, leaving about two fingers of space between the tape measure and your dog's fur.
- Chest Girth: Measure around your dog's chest, just behind their front legs. Again, leave about two fingers of space between the tape measure and your fur baby.
- Body Length. Measure your dog's length from the base of their neck (where their collar sits) to the base of their tail.
- Weight: We recommend rounding up to the nearest weight category listed on our sizing chart to be on the safe side.
Choose the Proper Size
After you have all the measurements, use the sizing chart to select the proper size. We recommend going up one size if you are unsure or between sizes. Better too big than too small when it comes to dog harnesses.
According to Top Dog Tips, if you're purchasing online, ensure the product page has a Size Chart if necessary. Because every manufacturer will have varied size limitations, you won't be able to buy the correct harness for your pet if there isn't a size chart available.
If you're unsure which size to pick for your dog's harness, get help from customer service or go with the bigger size all the time. It's simpler to make adjustments in a larger harness than repair one with too little.
Adjust the Harness Fit
Once you have the harness on your dog, it's time to make any final adjustments. Our cool dog harness for small, medium, or large dogs has adjustable straps to ensure the perfect fit. Start by loosening all the straps and then refasten them one by one. Be sure not to make them too tight, as this can be uncomfortable for your dog.
There's an easy way to fit and test a new harness. By sliding two fingers under any strap, you can tell if the harness too quickly is too tiny or significant. If you can't do so soon or comfortably, it's likely too small. On the other hand, if you can pull the harness over your dog's head, it's probably too big. If unsure where a harness should sit on a dog, feel free to check out this article.
Why Should You Get a Cool Harness for Your Dog at Pet&Cuddle?
As you can see, there are many reasons why you should consider getting an excellent harness for your dog from Pet&Cuddle. It will keep them safe and comfortable while they’re out and about with you and show the world that you’re a responsible pet owner who takes their animal’s safety seriously.
Moreover, our cool dog harnesses come in various sizes to fit small and large dogs, so you’re sure to find the perfect one for your furry friend. And with multiple colors and designs, you can pick one that perfectly suits your pup’s personality. If you want to provide your furry friend with the best possible care, check out our selection of cool harnesses today!
Common Questions About Getting a Dog Harness
We know everyone has their extraordinary different personality and needs, so there is no one-size-fits-all when choosing a front clip dog harness. That’s why we wanted to share some of the most common questions people ask about using this type of equipment for your furry friend.
What is the most comfortable dog harness?
The most comfortable harness will depend on your dog's individual body shape and size. Try different types and sizes of harnesses to see which one your dog seems to prefer. It would help if you also considered the comfortable harnesses' fit and materials. Your dog will be satisfied if the harness is sized correctly and made of soft, padded material.
What is the best harness for a dog that pulls?
If your dog is strong or tends to get overexcited on walks, try a no-pull harness with a front leash clip. The leash will squeeze and lift the dog’s shoulders when it pulls, which isn’t harmful but is uncomfortable. This method can help you train your dog to walk correctly on a leash.
What are the main criteria of a good harness?
When shopping for a cool dog harness and leash, comfort and safety should be your top priorities. The material should be soft, the fit should be customizable, and there should be several leash connection options. You should also consider the harness' style, color, and pattern.
When should you use a harness?
Your harness comes in handy whenever you're out with your dog during walks, at the park, or whenever you need to be in control. Just remember to take it off when you get home.
Harnesses provide extra security in case your dog gets loose and distribute the pressure of the leash more evenly across the body. They can help prevent injuries if your dog pulls excessively on walks.